Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Meet the Artist: Chelsea Dean


Artwork (or artist) that changed your life and why?
As an insanely neurotic drawer I was immediately attracted to Vija Celmins work. As it turned out, she had a retrospective at the Hammer Museum while I was working on what seemed to be the most challenging drawing of my life---a reflection in water. Standing in the presence of her effortless drawings made me short of breath. That day I gained a whole new respect for her artistic process and I was reminded that I wasn’t alone on my journey.
When did you first know you wanted to be an artist?
When I was very young! I have a picture hanging in my studio of me when I was 2½ years old painting outside in one of my father’s dress shirts. For me, it serves as a reminder that this is what I’m supposed to be doing.
What do you like about making art in Los Angeles?
I feel totally inspired by my friends and the spaces that surround me. Through my exploration of architecture here I’ve developed a taste for finding beauty in the decay. Lucky for me, there’s no shortage of that in this city.
What do you dislike about making art in Los Angeles?
The politics-- but you find that in any type of business.
Favorite book, film and food?
Shel Silverstein’s Where the Sidewalk Ends
'80s John Hughes movies
Vietnamese food
Favorite website?
I have been loving playlist.com!
Best art advice?
Trust the process!!!
We trust you'll head over to Happy to see Vestiges of the Original Plan, on view until November 29.